Definition of abbey :
1. A monastery or society of persons of either sex, secluded from the world and devoted to religion and celibacy; also, the monastic building or buildings.
2. The church of a monastery.
religious building (part of speech: noun)
cloister, vicarage, bishop's palace, church, tabernacle, meetinghouse, nunnery, deanery, rectory, house of god, shrine, clergy house, monastery, convent, cathedral, pagoda, mosque, parsonage, priory, synagogue, pantheon, friary, temple, chapel, manse, Vatican
- A monument to his memory was placed in Westminster Abbey, the highest honor that can be bestowed upon an Englishman. - "The Story of Our Hymns", Ernest Edwin Ryden.
- I think Fountain's Abbey is beautiful, compared with this. - "A Letter of Credit", Susan Warner.
- The Abbey of Jumieges. - "A Bibliographical, Antiquarian and Picturesque Tour in France and Germany, Volume One", Thomas Frognall Dibdin.