Definition of abbreviation:
- One dash, or more, through the stem of a note, dividing it respectively into quavers, semiquavers, or demi- semiquavers.
- The act of shortening, or reducing.
- The form to which a word or phrase is reduced by contraction and omission; a letter or letters, standing for a word or phrase of which they are a part; as, Gen. for Genesis; U. S. A. for United States of America.
- The result of abbreviating; an abridgment.
- contraction (part of speech: noun)
- shrinkage (part of speech: noun)
- decrease (part of speech: noun)
- "Edgar Saltus: The Man", Marie Saltus.
- "Lectures on The Science of Language", Max Müller.