Definition of abdomen :
1. The belly, or that part of the body between the thorax and the pelvis. Also, the cavity of the belly, which is lined by the peritoneum, and contains the stomach, bowels, and other viscera. In man, often restricted to the part between the diaphragm and the commencement of the pelvis, the remainder being called the pelvic cavity.
2. The posterior section of the body, behind the thorax, in insects, crustaceans, and other Arthropoda.
heart, insides, stomach, compound eye, spare tire, tum, visceral cavity, belly button, leg, mandible, pot belly, antenna, abdominal cavity, midsection, bowels, body, epigastric region, belly, tummy, proboscis, back, gut, solar plexus, corporation, intestines, belly cavity, girth, pot, venter, entrails, hypogastric region, gossamer, paunch, feelers, segment, middle, chest, bay window, epigastrium, viscera, flank, ventral region, front, breadbasket, guts, pincer, umbilical region
- A peculiar feeling, as if his belly were turned into nothingness, made him want to press his fists into his abdomen. - "The Trespasser", D.H. Lawrence.
- This may also occur with injuries of other organs in the abdomen. - "Aids to Forensic Medicine and Toxicology", W. G. Aitchison Robertson.
- When pronounced with feeling, they come from the chest and abdomen and not from the head merely, and so give a general internal exercise that is healthy. - "Guide to the Kindergarten and Intermediate Class and Moral Culture of Infancy.", Elizabeth P. Peabody Mary Mann.