Definition of above :
1. Earlier in order; higher in the same page; hence, in a foregoing page.
2. Figuratively, higher than; superior to in any respect; surpassing; beyond; higher in measure or degree than; as, things above comprehension; above mean actions; conduct above reproach.
3. Higher in rank or power; as, he appealed to the court above.
4. In a higher place; overhead; into or from heaven; as, the clouds above.
5. In or to a higher place; higher than; on or over the upper surface; over; - opposed to below or beneath.
6. More than; as, above five hundred were present.
7. Surpassing in number or quantity; more than; as, above a hundred. ( Passing into the adverbial sense. See Above, adv.,
above (part of speech: adverb)
superiorly (part of speech: adverb)
superior (part of speech: adjective)
dominant, headmost, furthermost, maximum, controlling, chief, leading, chosen, choice, signal, elite, crowning, better, most, sovereign, superior, eminent, master, A-1, foremost, ascendant, predominant, paramount, quintessential, ruling, furthest, senior, commanding, uppermost, supreme, champion, consummate, king, zenith, best
- I desire, above all other things, to set myself right in your eyes as a Christian man. - "Ester Ried", Pansy (aka. Isabella M. Alden).
- I think, dear lady, there will be those above to bless you for it." - "The Missourian", Eugene P. (Eugene Percy) Lyle.
- But above all things don't tell the governor. - "The Duke's Children", Anthony Trollope.