Definition of abstemious:
- Abstaining from wine.
- Marked by, or spent in, abstinence; as, an abstemious life.
- Promotive of abstemiousness.
- Sparing in diet; refraining from a free use of food and strong drinks; temperate; abstinent; sparing in the indulgence of the appetite or passions.
- Sparingly used; used with temperance or moderation; as, an abstemious diet.
light, diet, abstentious, moderate, temperate, crash diet, austere, abstinent, carnivore, self-abnegating, cannibal, sober, brown-bag, self-denying, sober, continent, cannibalism, restraint, Atkins diet, ascetical, ascetic, detox, Spartan.
- ascetic (part of speech: adjective)
- stingy (part of speech: adjective)
- celibate (part of speech: adjective)
- "The Prime Minister", W.H.G. Kingston.
- "The Leper in England: with some account of English lazar-houses", Robert Charles Hope.
- "Jane Talbot", Charles Brockden Brown.