Definition of abut:
process, bump into, skirt, frame in, fringe, intersect, march, butt against, overlap, bound, verge, butt on or, frame, interlock, environ, near, exhibit, surround, interconnect, bunt, adjoin, demonstrate, edge, inch, neighbor, parade, ring, jar against, interface, knock against, butt on, flank, border, be adjacent to, butt, run into.
- attach (part of speech: verb)
- join (part of speech: verb)
- contact (part of speech: verb)
In these layers, which abut against the granite, a mixture of mica and of unrounded grains of quartz and felspar occur, evidently derived from the disintegration of the crystalline rock, which must have decomposed in the atmosphere before the mud had reached this height.- "The Antiquity of Man", Charles Lyell.
- "K", Mary Roberts Rinehart.
- "Bonnie Prince Charlie A Tale of Fontenoy and Culloden", G. A. Henty.