Definition of abutment:
- A fixed point or surface from which resistance or reaction is obtained, as the cylinder head of a steam engine, the fulcrum of a lever, etc.
- In breech- loading firearms, the block behind the barrel which receives the pressure due to recoil.
- State of abutting.
- That on or against which a body abuts or presses
- The solid part of a pier or wall, etc., which receives the thrust or lateral pressure of an arch, vault, or strut.
- "The Complete Project Gutenberg Works of George Meredith", George Meredith.
- "Laramie Holds the Range", Frank H. Spearman.
- "Dwellers in the Hills", Melville Davisson Post.