Definition of accident:
- A point or mark which may be retained or omitted in a coat of arms.
- A property attached to a word, but not essential to it, as gender, number, case.
- A property or quality of a thing which is not essential to it, as whiteness in paper; an attribute.
- A quality or attribute in distinction from the substance, as sweetness, softness.
- Any accidental property, fact, or relation; an accidental or nonessential; as, beauty is an accident.
- Literally, a befalling; an event that takes place without one's foresight or expectation; an undesigned, sudden, and unexpected event; chance; contingency; often, an undesigned and unforeseen occurrence of an afflictive or unfortunate character; a casualty; a mishap; as, to die by an accident.
- Unusual appearance or effect.
misfortune, happening, diagonal, circumstance, hap, shot, cerebrovascular accident, separatrix, virgule, fortuity, throw, occasion, mishap, certain, possibility, slash, casualty, cam stroke, hazard, mischance, setback, incident, chance event, surprise, solidus, happenchance, occurrence, turn, contretemps, disaster, stroke, help, collision, stroking, calamity, contingency, misadventure, apoplexy.
- "Tom Swift and his Undersea Search or, The Treasure on the Floor of the Atlantic", Victor Appleton.
- "The Complete Project Gutenberg Works of George Meredith", George Meredith.
- "The Roman Question", Edmond About.