Definition of accidental:
- A property which is not essential; a nonessential; anything happening accidentally.
- A sharp, flat, or natural, occurring not at the commencement of a piece of music as the signature, but before a particular note.
- Happening by chance, or unexpectedly; taking place not according to the usual course of things; casual; fortuitous; as, an accidental visit.
- Nonessential; not necessary belonging; incidental; as, are accidental to a play.
- Those fortuitous effects produced by luminous rays falling on certain objects so that some parts stand forth in abnormal brightness and other parts are cast into a deep shadow.
unplanned, unexpected, extrinsic, extraneous, coincidental, alien, incidental, spontaneous, unforeseen, nonessential, involuntary, unpremeditated, under, secondary, impromptu, adventitious, subordinate, arbitrary, surprise, unlucky, external, unintended, foreign, by accident, undesigned, contingent, chance, supervenient, odd, unwitting, inadvertent, instinctive, casual.
- accidental (part of speech: adjective)
- chancy (part of speech: adjective)
- "The Queen of Hearts", Wilkie Collins Last Updated: January 3, 2009.
- "The Mystery of the Hasty Arrow", Anna Katharine Green.
Certain spots- woods, hills, wells- from their size, shape, position, or some accidental association, were regarded as sacred, and became the centres of religious worship, of sacrifice, and of schools of priests.- "The Towns of Roman Britain", James Oliver Bevan.