Definition of account :
1. A reckoning; computation; calculation; enumeration; a record of some reckoning; as, the Julian account of time.
2. A registry of pecuniary transactions; a written or printed statement of business dealings or debts and credits, and also of other things subjected to a reckoning or review; as, to keep one's account at the bank.
3. A statement and explanation or vindication of one's conduct with reference to judgment thereon.
4. A statement in general of reasons, causes, grounds, etc., explanatory of some event; as, no satisfactory account has been given of these phenomena. Hence, the word is often used simply for reason, ground, consideration, motive, etc.; as, on no account, on every account, on all accounts.
5. A statement of facts or occurrences; recital of transactions; a relation or narrative; a report; a description; as, an account of a battle.
6. An estimate or estimation; valuation; judgment.
7. Importance; worth; value; advantage; profit.
8. To give a satisfactory reason; to tell the cause of; to explain; - with for; as, idleness accounts for poverty.
9. To place to one's account; to put to the credit of; to assign; - with to.
10. To reckon; to compute; to count.
11. To recount; to relate.
12. To render an account; to answer in judgment; - with for; as, we must account for the use of our opportunities.
13. To render or receive an account or relation of particulars; as, an officer must account with or to the treasurer for money received.
14. To value, estimate, or hold in opinion; to judge or consider; to deem.
banknote, client, beak, business relationship, greenback, grievance, 401(k), overview, floor, consequence, serviceability, composition, aim, base, government note, accountant, accounting system, banker's bill, nest egg, honor, why, perspective, accuse, distinguish, bet, nib, forecast, count on, poster, handbill, reprimand, benefit, name, trace, number, the biz, case, commentary, key out, line, scotch, rationalization, musical score, profit, broadsheet, accounts receivable, flyer, placard, bank bill, version, admiration, mark, precis, used, charge account, characterization, merchant account, blue chip, advisement, delineate, level, punter, charge card, wherefore, justification, bank note, cover, grudge, utility, narration, tarradiddle, rendition, round-up, view, weightiness, broadside, depend, circular, work out, annual report, reflection, vizor, flier, discover, argument, usefulness, beauty parade, cypher, abstract, mileage, weight, deliberation, performance, brand loyalty, outline, reputation, favor, key, caveat emptor, authority, merit, anchor, comparison-shop, business, deposit, checking account, account statement, billhook, subject, depict, service, words, method of accounting, accounts payable, depiction, advantage, write up, deem, draw, visor, paper, accounting package, magnitude, storey, regard, theme, deposit account, consumption, esteem, interpretation, sum up, taradiddle, serviceableness, broking, peak, avail, kitty, significance, pool, fib, moment, explanation, conspicuous consumption, card, brokerage, rationale, grounds, acquisition, news report, posting, agent, worth, capacity, throwaway, grade, account for, pecker, momentousness, profile, use, cannibalize, written report, identify, affiliate, savings account, eyeshade, cipher, guest, bank account, assessor, respect, big business, debate, appreciation, neb, direct, censure, agency, business plan, chequing account, reading, reason, look, motive, pay, accountancy, cast, accounting, patron, portrait, import, answer for, sexual conquest, synopsis, report card, picture
calculation (part of speech: noun)
consideration, inference, calculation, system, computation, enumeration, appraisal, mathematics, assessment, valuation, algebra, division, approximation, arithmetic, thought, presumption, deduction, triangulation, evaluation, method, determination, multiplication, estimation, algorithm, conclusion, calculus, quantification, statistics, measurement, judgement, supposition
list (part of speech: verb)
manifest, storybook, treasury, roster, blank-book, thesaurus, repertory, dictionary, annual, documentation, summary, workbook, summarize, census, recording, audit, itemization, lexicon, tablet, file, table, digest, novel, recount, collect, logbook, registry, list, collection, bill, itemize, tabulate, document, menu, annals, cash book, store, check, detail, pad, waybill, scroll
report (part of speech: verb)
credit (part of speech: noun)
calculate (part of speech: verb)
judge, program, approximate, suppose, tally, surmise, count, triangulate, estimate, systematize, evaluate, multiply, add, rate, conclude, guess, infer, deduce, quantify, compute, plot, assess, consider, appraise, enumerate, measure, calculate, rank, reckon, value, presume, sum, gauge, divide, scheme, plan, determine, study, think, quantize, score, weigh, figure
account (part of speech: verb)
cashbook, rationalize, asset, books, explain, ledger, reckoning, general ledger, total, invoice, clarify, budget, profit and loss, docket, balance, register, receipts, schedule, slate, describe, roll, inventory, explicate, balance sheet, journal, justify
prose (part of speech: noun)
parable, story, fable, prose, prosaicness, serial, novella, fiction, scenario, allegory, romance, reading matter, retelling, episode, yarn, storyline, saga, tale, reminiscence, myth, legend, short story, plainness
chronicle (part of speech: verb)
daybook, record, catalog, archive, memorandum, album, description, notebook, scrapbook, diary, newspaper, yearbook, index, epic, narrative, biography, history, log, note, statement, anecdote, chronology, autobiography, memo, recital, journalize, calendar, bank-book, minute, clock, chronicle, newsletter, book
news (part of speech: noun)
- Not at all, Mrs. Munger; not on any account! - "Annie Kilburn A Novel", W. D. Howells.
- Captain Smith, my friend, Mr. Cochrane, or whatever may be your name, we have an account to settle. - "The Light of Scarthey", Egerton Castle.
- That is, I could put it into his account here? - "By Right of Purchase", Harold Bindloss.