Definition of acid :
1. A sour substance.
2. One of a class of compounds, generally but not always distinguished by their sour taste, solubility in water, and reddening of vegetable blue or violet colors. They are also characterized by the power of destroying the distinctive properties of alkalies or bases, combining with them to form salts, at the same time losing their own peculiar properties. They all contain hydrogen, united with a more negative element or radical, either alone, or more generally with oxygen, and take their names from this negative element or radical. Those which contain no oxygen are sometimes called hydracids in distinction from the others which are called oxygen acids or oxacids.
3. Sour, sharp, or biting to the taste; tart; having the taste of vinegar: as, acid fruits or liquors. Also fig.: Sour- tempered.
savage, sulfurous, dosage, dose, LSD, vinegary, biting, dit, vitriolic, acidulated, demigod, snarky, truculent, stifling, bloody-minded, agrochemical, sourish, panelling, acerb, satiric, superman, sultry, bittersweet, bilious, disagreeable, element, mordant, pane, sharp, alkali, tartish, taste, sarcastic, deadly, back breaker, barbed, accusatory, smart-mouthed, window pane, coke, corrosive, stinging, hot, dry, unpleasant, venomous, acidity, acidulous, erosive, smart-alecky, fiery, brackish, compound, virulent, ill-natured, acetic acid, attack, controlled substance, tangy, chocolatey, homocysteine, blistery, lysergic acid diethylamide, venereal infection, slashing, dyspeptic, scalding, mordacious, angel dust, sardonic, study at, ad hominem, blistering, astringent, Class A drug, window glass, carboniferous, splenetic, trenchant, dot, smart-aleck, ill-humored, anabolic steroid, red-hot, sulphurous, pane of glass, acetous, battery-acid, sexually transmitted disease, cocaine, venereal disease, cannabis, pungent, accusing, social disease, cutting, paneling, acrid, charlie, harsh, vinegarish, loony toons, respect, acidify, irate, base, catalyst, crack, chloride, scathing, chemical, acidulent, chocolate, ornery, flavored, point, acidic
acid (part of speech: noun)
irritable (part of speech: adjective)
bitter, touchy, acerbic, bellicose, spiteful, cross, irascible, caustic, prickly, crabbed, snappish, bitchy, crusty, cantankerous, acrimonious, irritable, huffy, petty, petulant, sour, peevish, churlish, surly, bearish, cranky, tart
- There was acid in them which ate into the quick. - "Comrade Yetta", Albert Edwards.
- If you regularly use the acid form of vitamin C powder, which is the cheapest, be sure to use a straw and dissolve it in water or juice so that the acid does not dissolve the enamel on your teeth over time. - "How and When to Be Your Own Doctor", Dr. Isabelle A. Moser with Steve Solomon.
- The advent of Miss Whalley, thin and acid, put an end to all enjoyment thereof. - "The Bars of Iron", Ethel May Dell.