Definition of acknowledgment :
1. A declaration or avowal of one's own act, to give it legal validity; as, the acknowledgment of a deed before a proper officer. Also, the certificate of the officer attesting such declaration.
2. Something given or done in return for a favor, message, etc.
3. The act of acknowledging; admission; avowal; owning; confession.
4. The act of owning or recognized in a particular character or relationship; recognition as regards the existence, authority, truth, or genuineness.
5. The owning of a benefit received; courteous recognition; expression of thanks.
extension, point of reference, credit, confession, nod, assent, recognition, compliance, source, character, reference point, credit entry, thanks, commendation, reference book, address, quotation, accession, signature, acknowledgement, reference work, profession, apology, denotation, gift, realisation, plea, knowledge, concession, credit rating, token, course credit, mention, honorable mention, greeting, applause, contract, cite, computer address, consultation, support, asseveration, concurrence, reference, bouquet, character reference, bow, guarantee, show, allowance, quote, identification, acceptance, citation, affirm, book of facts, bestowal, exculpation, acclamation, vindication, realization, receipt, deferred payment
affirmation (part of speech: noun)
confirmation, promise, testimony, sanction, verification, certification, assurance, pledge, submission, admission, validation, declaration, proclamation, corroboration, approval, pronouncement, attestation, statement, oath, avowal, endorsement, warranty, assertion, affirmation, ratification
correspondence (part of speech: noun)
response (part of speech: noun)
answer (part of speech: noun)
counterclaim, rebuttal, comeback, response, retort, rejoinder, countercharge, explanation, riposte, counter-accusation, echo, replication, return, counter-statement, reply, surrebuttal, counter-reply, answer, excuse
- Mr. Green went to his secretary, and, taking a small piece of paper from a drawer, held it up, and said- This, Henry, is her acknowledgment of the debt to me. - "The Lights and Shadows of Real Life", T.S. Arthur Edition: 10 Language: English.
- I thank your majesty for this acknowledgment. - "Andreas Hofer", Lousia Muhlbach.
- It would be ungracious to withhold acknowledgment of the really large volume and excellent quality of work accomplished by the extraordinary session of Congress which so recently adjourned. - "Complete State of the Union Addresses from 1790 to the Present", Various.