Definition of acquaintance :
1. A person or persons with whom one is acquainted.
2. A state of being acquainted, or of having intimate, or more than slight or superficial, knowledge; personal knowledge gained by intercourse short of that of friendship or intimacy; as, I know the man; but have no acquaintance with him.
fellowship, protagonist, relationship, conversance, escort, experience, champion, knowledge, familiarity, admirer, associate, impropriety, liberty, friendship, booster, supporter, closeness, conversancy, intimacy, companionship, indecorum, awareness, casualness, association, acquaintanceship
friend (part of speech: noun)
classmate, teammate, ally, buddy, roommate, confidant, familiar, colleague, pal, company, partner, chum, cousin, co-worker, amigo, fellow, crony, intimate, mate, playmate, friend, companion, schoolmate, brother, comrade, sister
- " I made acquaintance with it the last thing as I was growing ill. - "Warlock o' Glenwarlock", George MacDonald.
- She had tried to make the acquaintance of several people- real nice people; she knew they were by the way they looked. - "Oh, Money! Money!", Eleanor Hodgman Porter.
- If she did not, would she not have got her brother to write, or have written herself a cold line, to end our acquaintance? - "Checkmate", Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu.