Definition of act:
- A formal solemn writing, expressing that something has been done.
- A performance of part of a play; one of the principal divisions of a play or dramatic work in which a certain definite part of the action is completed.
- A state of reality or real existence as opposed to a possibility or possible existence.
- A thesis maintained in public, in some English universities, by a candidate for a degree, or to show the proficiency of a student.
- Process of doing; action. In act, in the very doing; on the point of ( doing).
- That which is done or doing; the exercise of power, or the effect, of which power exerted is the cause; a performance; a deed.
- The result of public deliberation; the decision or determination of a legislative body, council, court of justice, etc.; a decree, edit, law, judgment, resolve, award; as, an act of Parliament, or of Congress.
- To assume the office or character of; to play; to personate; as, to act the hero.
- To behave or conduct, as in morals, private duties, or public offices; to bear or deport one's self; as, we know not why he has acted so.
- To exert power; to produce an effect; as, the stomach acts upon food.
- To feign or counterfeit; to simulate.
- To move to action; to actuate; to animate.
- To perform actions; to fulfill functions; to put forth energy; to move, as opposed to remaining at rest; to carry into effect a determination of the will.
- To perform on the stage; to represent a character.
- To perform, as an actor; to represent dramatically on the stage.
- To perform; to execute; to do.
toy, acquit, coif, cultivate, morsel, comprise, doing, deed of conveyance, affect, epilogue, suffice, routine, code, minute, manage, twist, do, symbolise, carry, second, judgment, make believe, identification number, incite, represent, pretend, accomplishment, fare, telephone number, transaction, feat, dissemble, run, disguise, make out, prompt, introduction, encounter, skit, ordinance, travel, work on, performance, influence, bit, bout, finale, figure out, amendment, monologue, measure, phone number, strike, defend, performing arts, profess, pose, interpret, numeral, coiffure, take on, bet, affectation, action, map, movement, characterization, answer, diddle, curtain, bring, fiddle, round, practise, lex, sketch, mold, subroutine, tour, solve, human action, summons, make a motion, be active, stand for, masquerade, assize, modus operandi, spot, spiel, symbolize, hazard, turn, proceeding, statute, dissemblance, get along, trifle, exemplify, bend, puzzle out, pretense, bill, legislation, flake, document, appearance, honest, personation, put to work, flirt, process, move, simulation, form, decree, playact, procedure, wreak, bite, displace, make for, law, figure, snatch, ferment, execution, do work, bull, thing, good turn, chip, mask, subpoena, edict, act as, impress, lick, sham, order, cloak, guess, proposal, crook, bear, clause, work out, make up, exertion, correspond, issue, stage, go, set, turning, motion, enactment, turn of events, recreate, prologue, arrange, consummation, sour, scrap, typify, writ, behave, feign, piece, mo, knead, wager, act upon, propel, roleplay, interlude, coiffe, show, subprogram, human activity, shape, moment, verdict, actuate, portrayal, passage, deed, achievement, play, locomote, serve, mould, operation, come, dally, crop, title, commitment, lay out, true, constitute, acting, spell, forge, fleck, scene, meet, number, be, dress.
- endeavor (part of speech: verb)
- cause (part of speech: verb)
- venture (part of speech: verb)
- work (part of speech: verb)
- behave (part of speech: verb)
- dramatize (part of speech: verb)
- act (part of speech: verb)