Definition of active :
1. Applied to a form of the verb; - opposed to passive. See voice, under Voice.
2. Applied to all verbs that express action as distinct from mere existence or state.
3. Applied to verbs which assert that the subject acts upon or affects something else; transitive.
4. Brisk; lively; as, an active demand for corn.
5. Given to action rather than contemplation; practical; operative; - opposed to speculative or theoretical; as, an active rather than a speculative statesman.
6. Given to action; constantly engaged in action; energetic; diligent; busy; - opposed to dull, sluggish, indolent, or inert; as, an active man of business; active mind; active zeal.
7. Having the power or quality of acting; causing change; communicating action or motion; acting; - opposed to passive, that receives; as, certain active principles; the powers of the mind.
8. Implying or producing rapid action; as, an active disease; an active remedy.
9. In action; actually proceeding; working; in force; - opposed to quiescent, dormant, or extinct; as, active laws; active hostilities; an active volcano.
10. Quick in physical movement; of an agile and vigorous body; nimble; as, an active child or animal.
11. Requiring or implying action or exertion; - opposed to sedentary or to tranquil; as, active employment or service; active scenes.
supple, unwearied, activistic, operational, dynamical, alive, proactive, agile, rushing, working, involved, existent, ongoing, operating, daring, vibrant, prompt, dancing, on-duty, restless, rapid, wide awake, nimble, kinetic, intense, awareness, operative, fighting, hyperactive, quick, bold, mobile, on the move, gymnastic, existing, volatile, participating, erupting, purposeful, forcible, action, eruptive, determined, inactive, about, chipper, serviceable, spry, in full swing, overactive, current, active voice, acting, officious, diligent, effective, practicing, live, combat-ready, athletic, driving, pushing, sharp, actual, lethargic, active agent, efficacious, astir, dashing, hot, effectual, keen, physical, quiet, expeditious, functioning, on, fresh, eventful, productive, frenetic, activist, engaged, acrobatic, dexterous, on the go, frenzied, activated, unfaltering, sluggish, ready, open, surface-active, up and around, hectic, high-spirited, aggressive, resolute, progressive, lazy
energetic (part of speech: adjective)
active (part of speech: adjective)
lively (part of speech: adjective)
moving (part of speech: adjective)
vigorous (part of speech: adjective)
fervent, energetic, eager, spirited, emphatic, hearty, ardent, full-blooded, passionate, potent, mettlesome, sprightly, fiery, zestful, frisky, impassioned, animated, agitated, enthusiastic, prolific, puissant, excited, peppy, zealous, industrious, zippy, strenuous, strong, vigorous, earnest, lively, virile, powerful, lusty, afire, burning, exuberant, ablaze
- But we had determined to go to Dessein's, and the active Frank soon made way for us. - "Anna St. Ives", Thomas Holcroft.
- But for the misfortune of having a rich husband, she might have spent an active, useful, happy life. - "After a Shadow, and Other Stories", T. S. Arthur.
- Active my imagination may be, but I have it under control. - "Impressions of Theophrastus Such", George Eliot.