Definition of actuary:
- A registrar or clerk; - used originally in courts of civil law jurisdiction, but in Europe used for a clerk or registrar generally.
- The computing official of an insurance company; one whose profession it is to calculate for insurance companies the risks and premiums for life, fire, and other insurances.
- "Autobiography of Friedrich Froebel", Friedrich Froebel.
- "Ralph the Heir", Anthony Trollope.
- "The History of Samuel Titmarsh and the Great Hoggarty Diamond", William Makepeace Thackeray.