Definition of acuteness :
1. Shrillness; high pitch; - said of sounds.
2. The faculty of nice discernment or perception; acumen; keenness; sharpness; sensitiveness; -- applied to the senses, or the understanding. By acuteness of feeling, we perceive small objects or slight impressions: by acuteness of intellect, we discern nice distinctions.
3. The quality of being acute or pointed; sharpness; as, the acuteness of an angle.
4. Violence of a disease, which brings it speedily to a crisis.
distinctness, acuity, avidity, insight, edge, shrewdness, discernment, avidness, sharp-sightedness, acumen, raciness, penetration, pungency, asperity, astuteness, fierceness, sagacity, forcefulness, perspicacity, cleverness, bite, visual acuity, eagerness
painfulness (part of speech: noun)
cruelty, torture, agony, hurtfulness, grievousness, soreness, bitterness, anguish, painfulness, ache, odiousness, irksomeness, misery, aggravation, woefulness, uncomfortableness, offensiveness, unpleasantness, irritation, arduousness, annoyingness, torment, distressfulness
shrillness (part of speech: noun)
severity (part of speech: noun)
intensity, matter-of-factness, abruptness, meticulousness, gruffness, sternness, correctness, chilliness, austerity, discipline, keenness, crispness, frostiness, grimness, sharpness, rigorousness, dryness, briskness, stringency, strictness, coolness, acerbity, starkness, astringency, bleakness, authoritarianism, severity, harshness, preciseness, causticity, brusqueness, leanness, bluntness, oppressiveness
- His reply to J. H. Newman's Grammar of Assent shewed much acuteness. - "A Biographical Dictionary of Freethinkers of All Ages and Nations", Joseph Mazzini Wheeler.
- She may have seen into her mother's attitude with an acuteness much older than her actual years. - "The Golden Scarecrow", Hugh Walpole.
- Her loss of sight had been more than compensated by an extraordinary acuteness of mental vision. - "The Hidden Places", Bertrand W. Sinclair.