Definition of adherent:
- Attached as an attribute or circumstance.
- Congenitally united with an organ of another kind, as calyx with ovary, or stamens with petals.
- One who adheres; one who adheres; one who follows a leader, party, or profession; a follower, or partisan; a believer in a particular faith or church.
- Sticking; clinging; adhering.
- That which adheres; an appendage.
- believer (part of speech: noun)
follower (part of speech: noun)
- study atfollower
- compliant (part of speech: adjective)
Yet he was cursed, and by many of his own parishioners, as by others he was adored- which is the frequent fate of men who show partiality in friendship and bitterness in enmity, who are equally attached to principles and adherent to prejudices.- "Shirley", Charlotte Brontë.
I no sooner found myself delivered from this disease, than I bethought myself of my honest friend Strap; and resolving to make him happy forthwith in the knowledge of my good fortune, told my father in general, that I had been infinitely obliged to this faithful adherent, and begged he would indulge me so far as to send for him, without letting him know my happiness, until he could receive an account of it from my own mouth.- "The Adventures of Roderick Random", Tobias Smollett.
- "An Essay on the Application of the Lunar Caustic in the Cure of Certain Wounds and Ulcers", John Higginbottom.