Definition of adjacent :
1. having a common boundary or edge; touching; " abutting lots"; " adjoining rooms"; " Rhode Island has two bordering states; Massachusetts and Conncecticut"; " the side of Germany conterminous with France"; " Utah and the contiguous state of Idaho"; " neighboring cities"
2. Lying near, close, or contiguous; neighboring; bordering on; as, a field adjacent to the highway.
3. That which is adjacent.
joined (part of speech: adjective)
near (part of speech: adjective)
- Let these rods have adjacent ends separated by a very small air space, and let one rod be charged with positive and the other with negative electricity. - "Hertzian Wave Wireless Telegraphy", John Ambrose Fleming.
- Larry Masters had gone away to some adjacent town and had left his house tight locked. - "The Tempering", Charles Neville Buck.
- In those days the public schools provided nothing in the way of training in the practical arts, and a large work along these lines was carried on among the boys and girls who lived in the districts adjacent to Christ Church. - "Frank H. Nelson of Cincinnati", Warren C. Herrick.