Definition of adjournment :
1. The act of adjourning; the putting off till another day or time specified, or without day.
2. The time or interval during which a public body adjourns its sittings or postpones business.
abeyance (part of speech: noun)
- It was late when fathers and mothers in the company began to suggest adjournment. - "Alice of Old Vincennes", Maurice Thompson.
- The appearance of the Governor about an hour afterwards, was the signal for an adjournment to dinner. - "The Anti-Slavery Examiner, Omnibus", American Anti-Slavery Society.
- Yet if counsel was to be heard he asked an adjournment to enable him to engage and instruct lawyers. - "Benjamin Franklin", John Torrey Morse, Jr..