Definition of adjutant:
- A helper; an assistant.
- A regimental staff officer, who assists the colonel, or commanding officer of a garrison or regiment, in the details of regimental and garrison duty.
- A species of very large stork ( Ciconia argala), a native of India; - called also the gigantic crane, and by the native name argala. It is noted for its serpent- destroying habits.
- "Dave Darrin's First Year at Annapolis", H. Irving Hancock.
- "History of Company F, 1st Regiment, R.I. Volunteers, during the Spring and Summer of 1861", Charles H. Clarke.
- "Last Words", Stephen Crane.