Definition of admiralty:
- The building in which the lords of the admiralty, in England, transact business.
- The court which has jurisdiction of maritime questions and offenses.
- the department in charge of the navy ( as in Great Britain)
- The department or officers having authority over naval affairs generally.
- the office of admiral
- The office or jurisdiction of an admiral.
- The system of jurisprudence of admiralty courts.
- "A History of the Four Georges, Volume I (of 4)", Justin McCarthy.
His behaviour the last time of his being in the service was honest and regular, his officers giving him a very good character, and nobody else a bad one; but happening to be one day commanded on a party to mount guard at the Admiralty Office, by Charing Cross, they met a man and woman.- "Lives Of The Most Remarkable Criminals Who have been Condemned and Executed for Murder, the Highway, Housebreaking, Street Robberies, Coining or other offences", Arthur L. Hayward.
- "The Frozen Deep", Wilkie Collins.