Definition of admonish:
discourage, chew out, attack, reprove, expostulate with, bawl out, scold, monish, reprimand, reprehend, rap, lambaste, call down, alarm, rebuke, take to task, warn, caution, dress down, tax, praise, remonstrate with, find fault with, study at.
- caution (part of speech: verb)
- advise (part of speech: verb)
- disapprove (part of speech: verb)
- dissuade (part of speech: verb)
- threaten (part of speech: verb)
- "Phemie Frost's Experiences", Ann S. Stephens.
As lord of England, for they did not hesitate to designate him as such, he might admonish King John, and, if necessary, force him to restore unimpaired the old rights guaranteed them by the charters of earlier Kings.- "A History of England Principally in the Seventeenth Century, Volume I (of 6)", Leopold von Ranke.
- "Andreas Hofer", Lousia Muhlbach.