Definition of adoption:
- Admission to a more intimate relation; reception; as, the adoption of persons into hospitals or monasteries, or of one society into another.
- The act of adopting, or state of being adopted; voluntary acceptance of a child of other parents to be the same as one's own child.
- The choosing and making that to be one's own which originally was not so; acceptance; as, the adoption of opinions.
borrowing, toleration, abstention, babysit, block vote, confirmation, use, choosing, sufferance, banker's acceptance, betrothal, exploitation, selection, adopt, appropriation, acceptance, absentee ballot, absentee vote, usage, credence, approval, aye, adoptive, accept, enactment, consumption, application, choice, implementation, care, wear, acceptation, ballot, babysitter, permission, casting vote, operation, word meaning, give, adopted, ballot box, absolute majority, bridal, adoption agency, embracement, espousal, care order, word sense, au pair.
- "Government and Administration of the United States", Westel W. Willoughby and William F. Willoughby.
- "Dear Enemy", Jean Webster.
- "Samoa, A Hundred Years Ago And Long Before", George Turner.