Definition of adventure :
1. A mercantile or speculative enterprise of hazard; a venture; a shipment by a merchant on his own account.
2. A remarkable occurrence; a striking event; a stirring incident; as, the adventures of one's life.
3. Risk; danger; peril.
4. That which happens without design; chance; hazard; hap; hence, chance of danger or loss.
5. The encountering of risks; hazardous and striking enterprise; a bold undertaking, in which hazards are to be encountered, and the issue is staked upon unforeseen events; a daring feat.
6. To risk, or hazard; jeopard; to venture.
7. To try the chance; to take the risk.
8. To venture upon; to run the risk of; to dare.
disaster, menace, embark, bet on, peril, pretend, back, jeopardise, happen, possibility, take chances, punt, contingency, incident, game, risk, escapade, stake, lay on the line, event, take a chance, run a risk, guess, dangerous undertaking, imperil, put on the line, gamble, misadventure, post, misfortune, hap, calamity, find, hazard, jeopardize, emprise, risky venture, compromise, encounter, casualty, gage, endanger, bump, safety, experience, mishap, lark, happening, impale, threaten
chance (part of speech: noun)
venture (part of speech: noun)
endeavor (part of speech: noun)
effort, performance, gambit, engagement, action, job, essay, endeavor, commitment, attempt, purpose, production, maneuver, venture, approach, contract, enterprise, deed, proceeding, undertaking, project, assay, aim, exploit
- I do not think I was frightened at all, though I imagine my back was very straight and my head very high all the way; for I was well aware that I was out on an adventure. - "The Promised Land", Mary Antin.
- He did not like adventure. - "Smoke Bellew", Jack London.
- Long after they should have been asleep they were still making plans for this, their most wonderful adventure. - "The Blue Envelope", Roy J. Snell.