Definition of adverse:
- Acting against, or in a contrary direction; opposed; contrary; opposite; conflicting; as, adverse winds; an adverse party; a spirit adverse to distinctions of caste.
- In hostile opposition to; unfavorable; unpropitious; contrary to one's wishes; unfortunate; calamitous; afflictive; hurtful; as, adverse fates, adverse circumstances, things adverse.
- To oppose; to resist.
perverse, obstinate, fraught, risky, hostile, ominous, antagonistic, unbecoming, nocuous, pernicious, baneful, embarrassing, unsympathetic, unadvantageous, problematic, oppositional, antagonistic, untoward, wayward, bad, inimical, mischievous, opposed, help, counter, ruinous, damaging, contrary, negative, disruptive, injurious, adversarial, unsafe, noxious, uncomely, support, indecent, unfavourable, harmful, disadvantageous, unsatisfactory, baleful, dangerous, invidious, unseemly, ill, disadvantageous, unfavorable, inauspicious, hurtful, indecorous, contentious, hazardous, evil, conflicting, inopportune, wicked, prejudicial, deleterious.
- adverse (part of speech: adjective)
difficult (part of speech: adjective)
- "Castle Richmond", Anthony Trollope.
- "Study of Child Life", Marion Foster Washburne.
- "Samoa, A Hundred Years Ago And Long Before", George Turner.