Definition of adverse :
1. Acting against, or in a contrary direction; opposed; contrary; opposite; conflicting; as, adverse winds; an adverse party; a spirit adverse to distinctions of caste.
2. In hostile opposition to; unfavorable; unpropitious; contrary to one's wishes; unfortunate; calamitous; afflictive; hurtful; as, adverse fates, adverse circumstances, things adverse.
4. To oppose; to resist.
ominous, baneful, inopportune, deleterious, nocuous, indecorous, prejudicial, fraught, bad, unsafe, pernicious, negative, embarrassing, antagonistic, obstinate, wicked, perverse, harmful, injurious, disruptive, conflicting, mischievous, indecent, uncomely, wayward, disadvantageous, ill, help, invidious, unsatisfactory, damaging, inimical, unbecoming, oppositional, problematic, hazardous, unadvantageous, dangerous, unfavourable, baleful, ruinous, counter, hurtful, contentious, opposed, unseemly, hostile, risky, noxious, support, unsympathetic, evil, adversarial
adverse (part of speech: adjective)
distressful, unlucky, calamitous, inauspicious, hard, unfortunate, disastrous, catastrophic, unfavorable, antipathetic, tragic, miserable, perilous, burdensome, woeful, unpropitious, troublesome, untoward, opposing, difficult, detrimental, unfriendly, grievous
difficult (part of speech: adjective)
grinding, toilsome, finicky, cantankerous, severe, arduous, harsh, ticklish, tough, knotty, thorny, trying, oppressive, laborious, strenuous, contrary, onerous, rough, wearying, tricky, bothersome, fussy, complex, rugged, tight, wearing, demanding, complicated, wearisome, uphill, formidable, stressful, cumbersome
- This same acquaintance had been one of the party adverse to Talbot in the row which had followed, and he could not, therefore, be got to say that he had seen him dead. - "Castle Richmond", Anthony Trollope.
- Is this last speech any worse in reality than " You are a very naughty little girl, and I am ashamed of you," and all sorts of other expressions of candid adverse opinion? - "Study of Child Life", Marion Foster Washburne.
- She started for Tonga, but the canoe was driven by adverse winds to Fiji, and in remembrance of that she called her first child Vaasiliifiti, " Canoe drifted to Fiji." - "Samoa, A Hundred Years Ago And Long Before", George Turner.