Definition of advocate:
- Christ, considered as an intercessor.
- One who defends, vindicates, or espouses any cause by argument; a pleader; as, an advocate of free trade, an advocate of truth.
- One who pleads the cause of another. Specifically: One who pleads the cause of another before a tribunal or judicial court; a counselor.
- To act as advocate.
- To plead in favor of; to defend by argument, before a tribunal or the public; to support, vindicate, or recommend publicly.
power, promote, agree with, take the part of, instigate, promoter, commend, friend, endorse, counselor-at-law, herald, direction, supporter, defend, side with, inspire, clerk, incite, follower, counselling, further, vindicate, pleader, uphold, sponsor, adherent, plump for, legal eagle, gospeler, bolster, hierophant, speak up for, urge on, ally, abet, press, guidance, support, urge, bailiff, study at, tub-thumper, go to bat for, chief justice, espouser, assist, high priest, stand by, sympathize, cheer, the bench, the bar, embolden, index, push, attorney-at-law, ideologue, circuit judge, expounder, preach, champion, root on, proponent, booster, apostle, protagonist, stand behind, sympathizer, exponent, backer, advocator, true believer, pep up, aid, advance, paladin, counseling, attorney general, counselor, get behind, align oneself with, exhort, back, counsellor, align, countenance, prophesy, white knight, recommend, sanction, barrack, counsel.
- advise (part of speech: verb)
- lawyer (part of speech: noun)
- "Paul and the Printing Press", Sara Ware Bassett.
- "Leading Articles on Various Subjects", Hugh Miller.
- "The Passenger from Calais", Arthur Griffiths.