Definition of affirmative:
- A word or phrase expressing affirmation or assent; as, yes, that is so, etc.
- Confirmative; ratifying; as, an act affirmative of common law.
- Expressing the agreement of the two terms of a proposition.
- Positive; - a term applied to quantities which are to be added, and opposed to negative, or such as are to be subtracted.
- Positive; dogmatic.
- That affirms; asserting that the fact is so; declaratory of what exists; answering yes to a question; - opposed to negative; as, an affirmative answer; an affirmative vote.
- That which affirms as opposed to that which denies; an affirmative proposition; that side of question which affirms or maintains the proposition stated; - opposed to negative; as, there were forty votes in the affirmative, and ten in the negative.
concessive, by all means, positive, of course, assenting, plausive, I don't mind if I do, affirmatory, yea, partial, favorable, conceding, approbatory, that's right, side, supportive, favoring, naturally, approbative, optimistic, approbative, yes, uh huh, you're on, affirm, pro, for, agreeing, help, sympathetic, approving, assentient, definitely, upbeat, approbatory.
- affirmative (part of speech: adjective)
- positive (part of speech: adjective)
- agreeing (part of speech: verb)
- "Memoirs and Correspondence of Admiral Lord de Saumarez, Vol. I", Sir John Ross.
- "Mr. Marx's Secret", E. Phillips Oppenheim.
- "Mr. Midshipman Easy", Captain Frederick Marryat.