Definition of affliction :
1. The cause of continued pain of body or mind, as sickness, losses, etc.; an instance of grievous distress; a pain or grief.
2. The state of being afflicted; a state of pain, distress, or grief.
sadness, sorrow, disorder, illness, health, heavy, mourning, help, ailment, plight, wretchedness, care, happy, infirmity, cross, indisposition, unhappiness, wo, cross to bear, heartache, sickness, tsoris, visitation, disease, melancholy, over, regret
adversity (part of speech: noun)
destitution, bane, blight, adversity, burden, hard luck, contretemps, ordeal, catastrophe, curse, mishap, disaster, misadventure, hard times, peril, calamity, trouble, misfortune, tribulation, poorness, dolor, trial, hardship, tragedy, casualty, rainy day, difficulty, bad luck, woe, poverty
pain (part of speech: noun)
gripe, spasm, hurt, chafing, inflammation, stitch, painfulness, suffering, wound, stab, malaise, grief, smarting, crick, bruise, discomfort, sting, migraine, pain, pang, rack, torment, bite, injury, headache, earache, sore, anguish, ache, agony, irritation, back-ache, wrench, throe, torture, misery, distress, infliction, burn, throb, cramp
punishment (part of speech: noun)
fine, castigation, imprisonment, punishment, price, persecution, correction, penalty, reprisal, confinement, chastisement, forfeiture, revenge, execution, sentence, judgment, retribution, verdict, crucifixion, discipline, incarceration, payment
bane (part of speech: noun)
- A sore affliction to my daughter Faithful. - "Not Pretty, But Precious", John Hay, et al..
- Sorrow is upon the heart, a heavy grief upon the soul, and a great affliction in the home of me, Doesticks. - "Doesticks, What He Says", Q. K. Philander Doesticks.
- It has probably kept more people from doing their best work than any other one affliction. - "Cluthe's Advice to the Ruptured", Chas. Cluthe & Sons.