Definition of afford:
- To give forth; to supply, yield, or produce as the natural result, fruit, or issue; as, grapes afford wine; olives afford oil; the earth affords fruit; the sea affords an abundant supply of fish.
- To give, grant, or confer, with a remoter reference to its being the natural result; to provide; to furnish; as, a good life affords consolation in old age.
- To incur, stand, or bear without serious detriment, as an act which might under other circumstances be injurious; - with an auxiliary, as can, could, might, etc.; to be able or rich enough.
- To offer, provide, or supply, as in selling, granting, expending, with profit, or without loss or too great injury; as, A affords his goods cheaper than B; a man can afford a sum yearly in charity.
give way, open up, establish, serve, spread, bear with, contribute, bear up under, cave in, controllable, give, chip in, eke out, undergo, bear, get by, apply, ease up, manage, render, safe, commit, give in, fall in, protective, cover, reach, devote, go, impart, submit to, throw, present, sound, tolerate, return, consecrate, produce, offer, buckle under, feed, swing, scrape by, put up with, hold, suffer, relent, sacrifice, pass on, equip, turn over, arrange, collapse, secure, dedicate, pay, succumb, make, stretch, yield, provide, stand, leave, sustain, innocuous, move over, open, spread out, kick in, knuckle under, extend, harmless, cede, soften, make (both) ends meet, resource, generate, have, concede, support, unfold, cater to, founder, permit, hand, pass, endure, subsist, allow, satisfy, come up with, avoidable, break, abide, preventable, grant, brook, live from hand to mouth, supply, scratch a living, gift, furnish.
- "Civics and Health", William H. Allen.
- "Ayala's Angel", Anthony Trollope.
- "Dawson Black: Retail Merchant", Harold Whitehead.