Definition of against :
1. Abreast; opposite to; facing; towards; as, against the mouth of a river; - in this sense often preceded by over.
2. By of before the time that; in preparation for; so as to be ready for the time when.
3. From an opposite direction so as to strike or come in contact with; in contact with; upon; as, hail beats against the roof.
4. In opposition to, whether the opposition is of sentiment or of action; on the other side; counter to; in contrariety to; hence, adverse to; as, against reason; against law; to run a race against time.
opposite (part of speech: adjective)
diametric (part of speech: adjective)
- But I say nothing against Mrs. Fenwick. - "Somehow Good", William de Morgan.
- " She has never spoken a word against him- not even to me from whom she never had a secret. - "The Mettle of the Pasture", James Lane Allen.
- I know how much you and Mr. Sefton were against it; but I do not think you would wish me to stay behind. - "Our Bessie", Rosa Nouchette Carey.