Definition of aisle:
- A lateral division of a building, separated from the middle part, called the nave, by a row of columns or piers, which support the roof or an upper wall containing windows, called the clearstory wall.
- Also ( perhaps from confusion with alley), a passage into which the pews of a church open.
- Improperly used also for the have; - as in the phrases, a church with three aisles, the middle aisle.
- "The Reclaimers", Margaret Hill McCarter.
- "Seven Maids of Far Cathay", Bing Ding, Ed..
- "My Little Sister", Elizabeth Robins.