Definition of alkali:
- One of a class of caustic bases, such as soda, potash, ammonia, and lithia, whose distinguishing peculiarities are solubility in alcohol and water, uniting with oils and fats to form soap, neutralizing and forming salts with acids, turning to brown several vegetable yellows, and changing reddened litmus to blue.
- Soda ash; caustic soda, caustic potash, etc.
- Soluble mineral matter, other than common salt, contained in soils of natural waters.
infrastructure, bag, fundament, nucleotide, groundwork, magnesia, caesium hydrate, al-Qaida, salt, lithium hydrate, home, soda, potassium hydrate, ammonium hydroxide, root word, base of operations, understructure, rubidium hydrate, sodium carbonate, al-Qa'ida, cornerstone, stand, pedestal, ammonium hydrate, base, radical, root, basis, substructure, foot, floor, stem, lime, antacid, theme, al-Qaeda, radix, ammonia, foundation.
- "The Girl of the Golden West", David Belasco.
- "Organic-Syntheses", Conant, James Bryant.
- "The Pacha of Many Tales", Captain Frederick Marryat.