Definition of allegation :
1. A statement by a party of what he undertakes to prove, - usually applied to each separate averment; the charge or matter undertaken to be proved.
2. That which is alleged, asserted, or declared; positive assertion; formal averment
3. The act of alleging or positively asserting.
accusation (part of speech: noun)
citation, censure, incrimination, impeachment, grievance, accusation, condemnation, accusal, charge, complaint, insinuation, denouncement, criticism, allegement, reproach, imputation, indictment, blame
lawsuit (part of speech: noun)
- Is there any possible method of describing the unquestionable greatness and undoubted glory of the country, its resplendent history and its miraculous achievements, in an ascending and cumulative series of epithets and epigrams which shall end truthfully in the resounding allegation, " and the streets of New York are kept clean"? - "From the Easy Chair, series 2", George William Curtis.
- Amazed and panic- stricken, the trembling Jews denied the allegation and protested their innocence, to which the Governor- General replied, " Your children are, at any rate; they have become so through the bad education you have given them." - "The Haskalah Movement in Russia", Jacob S. Raisin.
- While on many points agreement was found to be possible, and the general principles which should underlie industrial legislation were accorded ready acceptance, there was enough of objection, reservation, and allegation of constitutional difficulty to prevent the conclusion of anything in the nature of an international treaty. - "The Unity of Civilization", Various.