Definition of allowance :
1. A customary deduction from the gross weight of goods, different in different countries, such as tare and tret.
2. Abatement; deduction; the taking into account of mitigating circumstances; as, to make allowance for the inexperience of youth.
4. Approval; approbation.
5. License; indulgence.
6. That which is allowed; a share or portion allotted or granted; a sum granted as a reimbursement, a bounty, or as appropriate for any purpose; a stated quantity, as of food or drink; hence, a limited quantity of meat and drink, when provisions fall short.
7. The act of allowing, granting, conceding, or admitting; authorization; permission; sanction; tolerance.
8. To put upon a fixed allowance ( esp. of provisions and drink); to supply in a fixed and limited quantity; as, the captain was obliged to allowance his crew; our provisions were allowanced.
leeway, backlog, adaptation, hire, granting, gross profit margin, authorization, pay, fee, collect, allowance account, scholarship, fitting, sufferance, clearance, balance, earnings, block, 1099, pocket money, contribution, OK, security deposit, valuation account, legacy, perimeter, subvention, stint, consider, green light, leave, claw back, rationalize, permission, approbation, remittance, salary, the Boston Tea Party, recompense, Rhodes Scholarship, aid, agree, allow, justify, bursary, gross profit, license, tolerance, border, subsidy, arithmetic, accumulation, capacity, take, annuity, margin, dole, corporate welfare, batch, allow for, adaption, valuation reserve, readjustment, Chancellor of the Exchequer, divvy, handout, excuse, inheritance, fellowship, alteration, 1040 form, chargeable, requital, audit, warrant, permissiveness, permit, pension, endowment, registration, bequest, end
compromise (part of speech: noun)
portion (part of speech: noun)
consent (part of speech: noun)
discount (part of speech: verb)
qualification (part of speech: noun)
allotment (part of speech: noun)
assignment, budget, quantum, division, dispensation, measure, allotment, part, partition, segment, stipend, percentage, commission, ration, piece, lot, split, chunk, portion, quota, share, slice, stake, proportion, allocation, parcel, apportionment
amount (part of speech: noun)
reward (part of speech: noun)
bounty, inducement, incentive, payment, gratuity, sweetener, gift, plum, lure, reward, tip, enticement, wage, sweepstakes, amends, remuneration, carrot, wages, stimulation, consideration, bonus, atonement, temptation, treat, prize, tribute, grant, award, honorarium
- I shall have to make the girl an allowance. - "The Nether World", George Gissing.
- I merely said I refused to give Robert any allowance, and I shall leave everything in my power away from the title. - "Red Hair", Elinor Glyn.
- Oh, if only I hadn't spent my allowance for clothes that I didn't need! - "Tabitha's Vacation", Ruth Alberta Brown.