Definition of alternately:
- By alternation; when, in a proportion, the antecedent term is compared with antecedent, and consequent.
- in an alternating sequence or position; " They were deglycerolized by alternately centrifuging and mixing"; " he planted fir and pine trees alternately"
- In reciprocal succession; succeeding by turns; in alternate order.
- "Letters of a Radio-Engineer to His Son", John Mills.
Nevertheless, he had gone to Lady Masterton's on purpose to meet her; and his manner on seeing her had asserted precisely the same intimate claim upon her, which, during the past six weeks, had alternately attracted and repelled her.- "Marcella", Mrs. Humphry Ward.
- "The Mistress of Bonaventure", Harold Bindloss.