Definition of ambition :
1. An eager, and sometimes an inordinate, desire for preferment, honor, superiority, power, or the attainment of something.
2. The act of going about to solicit or obtain an office, or any other object of desire; canvassing.
3. To seek after ambitiously or eagerly; to covet.
intent, craving, inspiration, thirst, lust, passion, hankering, intake, rivalry, meaning, indifference, desire, drive, opposition, design, view, pipe dream, planned, why, yearning, earnestness, vigor, inhalation, mark, dream, ambitiousness, ardor, end, hope, emulation, itch, zeal, purpose, spirit, push, energy, get-up-and-go, enterprise, breathing in, avidity, competition, apathy, longing, point, dreaming, appetite
intention (part of speech: noun)
forecast, policy, scheme, prospectus, will, expectation, choice, object, schedule, agenda, strategy, goal, plan, forethought, approach, procedure, consideration, scenario, intention, endeavor, idea, wish, calculation, aim, proposal
pursuit (part of speech: noun)
- The Pacha's great ambition was to be familiar with the English language, and at last nothing would do but he must take lessons of me. - "Wonderful Adventures of Mrs. Seacole in Many Lands", Mary Seacole Commentator: W. H. Russell.
- But there is another reason- it would help you in your larger ambition. - "Counsel for the Defense", Leroy Scott.
- She would not be able in truth to free herself from the ambition to live and shine in this world of the English rich and well born. - "Lady Rose's Daughter", Mrs. Humphry Ward.