Definition of ambitious:
- Possessing, or controlled by, ambition; greatly or inordinately desirous of power, honor, office, superiority, or distinction.
- Springing from, characterized by, or indicating, ambition; showy; aspiring; as, an ambitious style.
- Strongly desirous; - followed by of or the infinitive; as, ambitious to be or to do something.
overambitious, thirsty, high-pressure, thought-provoking, desire, earnest, enthusiastic, insistent, hopeful, intriguing, would-be, eager, purposeful, punishing, compulsive, aggressive, dedicated, formidable, hard, zealous, pretentious, driving, hungry, manque, scheming, sedulous, lofty, demanding, resourceful, pushing, designing, pushful, challenging, militant, assertive, tough, hustling, motivated, enterprising, hard-driving, aspirant, competitive, go-getting, vaulting, aspiring, persistent, self-asserting, self-seeking, pushy, predatory, intent, driven, avid, industrious, complicated, fierce, energetic, taxing, sharp, be an effort, determined, emulous, grand, arduous, difficult, striving, lackadaisical, in-your-face, self-assertive.
- "The Lion and the Mouse A Story of an American Life", Charles Klein.
- "Average Americans", Theodore Roosevelt.
- "Mary Wollstonecraft", Elizabeth Robins Pennell.