Definition of american :
1. A native of America; - originally applied to the aboriginal inhabitants, but now applied to the descendants of Europeans born in America, and especially to the citizens of the United States.
2. Of or pertaining to America; as, the continent: Indians.
3. Of or pertaining to the United States.
- Directly the words were spoken Mr. Pownceby became conscious that the new arrival was an American. - "Amusement Only", Richard Marsh.
- " You do not surprise me," I replied, " for I have reason to think that this American lady is of a very serious turn of mind." - "Balthasar And Other Works - 1909", Anatole France.
- " Do you mean to tell me," he exclaimed, " that charming little woman is not an American at all? - "Mysterious Mr. Sabin", E. Phillips Oppenheim.