Definition of annunciation :
1. The act of announcing; announcement; proclamation; as, the annunciation of peace.
2. The announcement of the incarnation, made by the angel Gabriel to the Virgin Mary.
3. The festival celebrated ( March 25th) by the Church of England, of Rome, etc., in memory of the angel's announcement, on that day; Lady Day.
- First heard whispering then, the sacred annunciation now more eloquently urged that in her church, the hour of real need being come, she would find refuge, help, more than earthly counsellor. - "The Mettle of the Pasture", James Lane Allen.
- " The Annunciation," with its beautiful perspective, is one of his best compositions of this subject, in which he is always so successful. - "Luca Signorelli", Maud Cruttwell.
- The annunciation was received with enthusiasm by the people, attached to the memory of his illustrious father, and pleased that they were still to have a monarch rule over them of the ancient line of Cuzco. - "History-of-the-Conquest-of-Peru-with-a-preliminary-view-of-the-civilization-of-the-Incas", Prescott, William Hickling.