Definition of anomaly :
1. Any deviation from the essential characteristics of a specific type.
2. Deviation from the common rule; an irregularity; anything anomalous.
3. The angle measuring apparent irregularities in the motion of a planet.
4. The angular distance of a planet from its perihelion, as seen from the sun. This is the true anomaly. The eccentric anomaly is a corresponding angle at the center of the elliptic orbit of the planet. The mean anomaly is what the anomaly would be if the planet's angular motion were uniform.
unconformity (part of speech: noun)
derangement, impropriety, idiosyncrasy, incongruity, freakishness, quirkiness, eccentricity, inconsistency, incompatibility, oddity, strangeness, divergence, unfamiliarity, peculiarity, aberrance, nonconformity, deviation, uniqueness, outlandishness, difference, curiosity, aberration, singularity, uncommonness, irregularity, unconventionality, exception, abnormality, funniness
- Furthermore, as we shall presently see to better advantage, the more strictly materialistic type of naturalism must regard thought as an anomaly, and has no little difficulty with life. - "The Approach to Philosophy", Ralph Barton Perry.
- Pope Leo regarded a female sovereign as an anomaly and an abomination in the eyes of all true Romans, and he brought to an end all claims the Byzantine dynasty might have on Italy at least, by creating Charlemagne Emperor of the West. - "Women of Early Christianity Woman: In all ages and in all countries, Vol. 3 (of 10)", Alfred Brittain Mitchell Carroll.
- Men of science soon remarked that in very many points this specimen differed from any species now known; and, indeed, a hairy rhinoceros was, in itself, an anomaly. - "The Romance of Natural History, Second Series", Philip Henry Gosse.