Definition of answer :
1. A counter- statement of facts in a course of pleadings; a confutation of what the other party has alleged; a responsive declaration by a witness in reply to a question. In Equity, it is the usual form of defense to the complainant's charges in his bill.
2. A reply to a change; a defense.
3. A solution, the result of a mathematical operation; as, the answer to a problem.
4. Something done in return for, or in consequence of, something else; a responsive action.
5. Something said or written in reply to a question, a call, an argument, an address, or the like; a reply.
6. To atone; to be punished for.
7. To be opposite to; to face.
8. To be opposite, or to act in opposition.
9. To be or act an equivalent to, or as adequate or sufficient for; to serve for; to repay.
10. To be or act as an equivalent, or as adequate or sufficient; as, a very few will answer.
11. To be or act by way of compliance, fulfillment, reciprocation, or satisfaction; to serve the purpose; as, gypsum answers as a manure on some soils.
12. To be or act in accommodation, conformity, relation, or proportion to; to correspond to; to suit.
13. To be or act in compliance with, in fulfillment or satisfaction of, as an order, obligation, demand; as, he answered my claim upon him; the servant answered the bell.
14. To be or act in conformity, or by way of accommodation, correspondence, relation, or proportion; to conform; to correspond; to suit; - usually with to.
15. To be or act in return or response to.
16. To be or act in return.
17. To make a satisfactory response or return.
18. To render account to or for.
19. To render account, or to be responsible; to be accountable; to make amends; as, the man must answer to his employer for the money intrusted to his care.
20. To respond to satisfactorily; to meet successfully by way of explanation, argument, or justification, and the like; to refute.
21. To speak in defense against; to reply to in defense; as, to answer a charge; to answer an accusation.
22. To speak or write by way of return ( originally, to a charge), or in reply; to make response.
23. To speak or write in return to, as in return to a call or question, or to a speech, declaration, argument, or the like; to reply to ( a question, remark, etc.); to respond to.
final result, manage, coif, conclude, practise, dissolving agent, resolving power, issue, make, solve, adjudicate, revelation, question, effect, password, set, repartee, dissolver, outcome, serve up, clue, solution, perform, dissolvent, closure, practice, interpretation, swear out, dish up, event, coiffure, settlement, resolving, resolvent, firmness, root, dish out, result, do, service, arrange, come, solving, determination, purpose, upshot, key, resultant, firmness of purpose, help, resolution, disclosure, coiffe, break up, exercise, termination, settle, dissolve, declaration, behave, act, get along, consequence, plea, query, ask, reception, serve, cause, elucidation, discovery, resultant role, retaliation, sign, dish, fare, make out, resolve, attend to, function, attend, find, dress, statement, wait on, serve well, decide, process, suffice, solvent, resoluteness, execute, assist
correspond (part of speech: verb)
defense (part of speech: noun)
correspondence (part of speech: noun)
defend (part of speech: verb)
respond (part of speech: verb)
answer (part of speech: verb)
response, counterclaim, counter, acknowledgment, rejoinder, counter-reply, excuse, acknowledge, replication, counter-accuse, explain, surrebuttal, rebut, echo, counter-accusation, counter-state, riposte, countercharge, comeback, retort, respond, expound, return, come back, explanation, counter-statement, rebuttal, reply
apologize (part of speech: verb)
response (part of speech: noun)