Definition of antidote:
- A remedy to counteract the effects of poison, or of anything noxious taken into the stomach; - used with against, for, or to; as, an antidote against, for, or to, poison.
- To counteract or prevent the effects of, by giving or taking an antidote.
- To fortify or preserve by an antidote.
- Whatever tends to prevent mischievous effects, or to counteract evil which something else might produce.
- "Betty Wales Freshman", Edith K. Dunton.
You say it is a very fascinating occupation; perhaps it is, though it does not appear to me so, and I think it carries with it drawbacks enough to operate as an antidote to the vanity and love of admiration which it can hardly fail to foster.- "Records of a Girlhood", Frances Ann Kemble.
- "The Abandoned Room", Wadsworth Camp.