Definition of antidote :
1. A remedy to counteract the effects of poison, or of anything noxious taken into the stomach; - used with against, for, or to; as, an antidote against, for, or to, poison.
2. To counteract or prevent the effects of, by giving or taking an antidote.
3. To fortify or preserve by an antidote.
4. Whatever tends to prevent mischievous effects, or to counteract evil which something else might produce.
remedy (part of speech: noun)
- " The point is, it's such a splendid antidote for overstudying. - "Betty Wales Freshman", Edith K. Dunton.
- You say it is a very fascinating occupation; perhaps it is, though it does not appear to me so, and I think it carries with it drawbacks enough to operate as an antidote to the vanity and love of admiration which it can hardly fail to foster. - "Records of a Girlhood", Frances Ann Kemble.
- At twenty Katherine was too young, too light- hearted for this care of her uncle in which she had persisted as an antidote for Bobby's shortcomings. - "The Abandoned Room", Wadsworth Camp.