Definition of ape :
1. A dupe.
2. A quadrumanous mammal, esp. of the family Simiadae, having teeth of the same number and form as in man, and possessing neither a tail nor cheek pouches. The name is applied esp. to species of the genus Hylobates, and is sometimes used as a general term for all Quadrumana. The higher forms, the gorilla, chimpanzee, and ourang, are often called anthropoid apes or man apes.
3. One who imitates servilely ( in allusion to the manners of the ape); a mimic.
4. To mimic, as an ape imitates human actions; to imitate or follow servilely or irrationally.
gibbon, travesty, primate, great ape, burlesque, emulator, impersonator, monkey, imitator, anthropoid, orangutan, caricature, baboon, aper, simian, do a takeoff on, same, copycat, siamang, gorilla, chimpanzee
conform (part of speech: verb)
represent (part of speech: verb)
imitate (part of speech: verb)
flatter, repeat, ditto, mime, impersonate, pretend, feign, duplicate, portray, copy, parody, mirror, parallel, counterfeit, simulate, replicate, parrot, resemble, mock, emulate, echo, reflect, imitate
- Who bade thee ape the gentleman? - "The Love-Chase", James Sheridan Knowles.
- Persons who are horrified by what they believe to be Darwin's theory of the descent of Man from the Ape may find comfort in the hope of his return. - "A Cynic Looks at Life Little Blue Book #1099", Ambrose Bierce.
- But instead of coming toward his hiding- place, it leaped into the air, caught the branch of a roadside tree, and swung swiftly upward, from limb to limb, like an ape. - "The Best Psychic Stories", Various.