Definition of appear :
2. To become visible to the apprehension of the mind; to be known as a subject of observation or comprehension, or as a thing proved; to be obvious or manifest.
3. To come before the public; as, a great writer appeared at that time.
4. To come or be in sight; to be in view; to become visible.
5. To seem; to have a certain semblance; to look.
6. To stand in presence of some authority, tribunal, or superior person, to answer a charge, plead a cause, or the like; to present one's self as a party or advocate before a court, or as a person to be tried.
face, seem, bulge, out, pop, arrive, come in, get on, sound, take care, erupt, step up, count, come forward, come out of the closet, step forward, protrude, resemble, come along, start, fall out, expect, loom, commence, progress, come forth, come on, come out, shape up, come to the fore, dawn, go forth, calculate, bet, develop, break through, attend, push through, wait, bug out, turn out, show up, depart, issue, recur, get along, pop out, await, originate, search, turn up, step to the fore, see, egress, bulge out, disappear, advance, oblige, stand out, look, rise, reckon, depend, place, leave, front
act (part of speech: verb)
manifest (part of speech: verb)
appear (part of speech: verb)
- They appear together, but we do not know why. - "The Old Riddle and the Newest Answer", John Gerard.
- So think for me, dearest Sarianna- think for your father and yourself, think for Robert- and remember that Robert and I will do anything which shall appear possible to you. - "The Letters of Elizabeth Barrett Browning (1 of 2)", Frederic G. Kenyon.
- You appear interested in him? - "There was a King in Egypt", Norma Lorimer.