Definition of appearance:
- A thing seed; a phenomenon; a phase; an apparition; as, an appearance in the sky.
- Personal presence; exhibition of the person; look; aspect; mien.
- Probability; likelihood.
- Semblance, or apparent likeness; external show. pl. Outward signs, or circumstances, fitted to make a particular impression or to determine the judgment as to the character of a person or a thing, an act or a state; as, appearances are against him.
- The act of appearing in a particular place, or in society, a company, or any proceedings; a coming before the public in a particular character; as, a person makes his appearance as an historian, an artist, or an orator.
- The act of appearing or coming into sight; the act of becoming visible to the eye; as, his sudden appearance surprised me.
- The coming into court of either of the parties; the being present in court; the coming into court of a party summoned in an action, either by himself or by his attorney, expressed by a formal entry by the proper officer to that effect; the act or proceeding by which a party proceeded against places himself before the court, and submits to its jurisdiction.
outside, examination, coming into court, presence, color, visual aspect, aura, show, surface, debut, face, contour, rear its (ugly) head, resurface, going, exhibit, incoming, character, pose, name, case, outward, makeup, onset, deceive, see, seeming, double bill, dress, fact, effect, fashion, personality, double feature, curtain raiser, actualization, stamp, command performance, put up a front, styling, habeas corpus, condition, occurrence, reappear, port, externals, take shape, flash, exterior, semblance, impression, way, idea, garb, behavior, loom, appear, guise, booking, attitude, start, starting point, continuance, illusion, pretend, style, mirage, act, introduction, draw, mask, keep up with the Joneses, visage, simulacrum, carriage, reality, mind, beginning, rise, shadow, under/in the guise of, appearing, pretense, regard, representation, outline, vanishing, sort, deposition, defense, manner, posture, front, veneer, commencement, conception, departure, closing argument, emerge, outset.
- arrival (part of speech: noun)
- appearance (part of speech: noun)
- biblical revelation (part of speech: noun)
- form (part of speech: noun)
- manifestation (part of speech: noun)
- "Desperate Remedies", Thomas Hardy.
- "Madge Morton's Trust", Amy D. V. Chalmers.
- "The Gospel According to St. Mark", G. A. Chadwick.