Definition of appearance :
1. A thing seed; a phenomenon; a phase; an apparition; as, an appearance in the sky.
2. Personal presence; exhibition of the person; look; aspect; mien.
3. Probability; likelihood.
4. Semblance, or apparent likeness; external show. pl. Outward signs, or circumstances, fitted to make a particular impression or to determine the judgment as to the character of a person or a thing, an act or a state; as, appearances are against him.
5. The act of appearing in a particular place, or in society, a company, or any proceedings; a coming before the public in a particular character; as, a person makes his appearance as an historian, an artist, or an orator.
6. The act of appearing or coming into sight; the act of becoming visible to the eye; as, his sudden appearance surprised me.
7. The coming into court of either of the parties; the being present in court; the coming into court of a party summoned in an action, either by himself or by his attorney, expressed by a formal entry by the proper officer to that effect; the act or proceeding by which a party proceeded against places himself before the court, and submits to its jurisdiction.
manner, outward, condition, port, commencement, way, act, attitude, fashion, pose, surface, shadow, emerge, curtain raiser, garb, keep up with the Joneses, double bill, case, mirage, exhibit, deposition, see, loom, incoming, double feature, introduction, semblance, outset, styling, personality, front, stamp, defense, onset, contour, vanishing, illusion, start, regard, representation, exterior, coming into court, closing argument, simulacrum, reality, outline, departure, command performance, veneer, sort, appearing, appear, carriage, seeming, flash, debut, externals, style, guise, actualization, starting point, name, makeup, impression, habeas corpus, effect, conception, take shape, fact, occurrence, resurface, continuance, idea, booking, behavior, reappear, character, deceive, color, beginning, rear its (ugly) head, pretense, put up a front, examination, going, outside, under/in the guise of, pretend, visual aspect, draw, mask, aura, visage, mind, dress, presence, face, rise, posture
arrival (part of speech: noun)
coming, fulfillment, achievement, landing, reception, homecoming, attainment, entrance, touchdown, advent, debarkation, ingress, return, arrival, landfall, welcome, approach, accomplishment, destination
appearance (part of speech: noun)
biblical revelation (part of speech: noun)
epiphany, discovery, prophecy, materialization, manifestation, apotheosis, gospel, apocalypse, emergence, evidence, revelation, issuance, inspiration, apparition, vision, oracle, revealment, disclosure
form (part of speech: noun)
manifestation (part of speech: noun)
- He said that although you were to be married on Old Christmas Day- that is to- morrow- he had noticed your appearance with pity: he thought you loved me still. - "Desperate Remedies", Thomas Hardy.
- Phil was not really surprised by her chum's appearance. - "Madge Morton's Trust", Amy D. V. Chalmers.
- His appearance, indeed, is quite unlike what it was to others. - "The Gospel According to St. Mark", G. A. Chadwick.