Definition of apposition:
- The act of adding; application; accretion.
- The putting of things in juxtaposition, or side by side; also, the condition of being so placed.
- The state of two nouns or pronouns, put in the same case, without a connecting word between them; as, I admire Cicero, the orator. Here, the second noun explains or characterizes the first.
- "The English Language", Robert Gordon Latham.
- "The Grammar of English Grammars", Goold Brown.
A strange feeling stole over him, the feeling of mystery that comes to one with some sudden apposition of incident that thrills with a sense of an overpowering meaning in a circumstance in itself banal and trivial.- "The Long Lane's Turning", Hallie Erminie Rives.