Definition of arbitrary:
- Depending on will or discretion; not governed by any fixed rules; as, an arbitrary decision; an arbitrary punishment.
- Despotic; absolute in power; bound by no law; harsh and unforbearing; tyrannical; as, an arbitrary prince or government.
- Exercised according to one's own will or caprice, and therefore conveying a notion of a tendency to abuse the possession of power.
tyrannical, chance, whimsical, authoritative, surprise, imperative, impulsive, judgmental, peremptory, optional, lordly, supreme, overbearing, commanding, scientific, absolute, imperious, discretional, superficial, study at, despotic, compulsory, freakish, irresponsible, unreasonable, compulsive, monocratic, injudicious, opinion, coercive, inconsistent, temporary, autocratic, autarchical, dogmatic, domineering, haughty, crotchety, judicious, consistent, willful, capricious, exacting, supercilious, politics, tyrannic, dictatorial, discretionary, positive, unscientific, totalitarian, unequivocal, tyrannous, uncertain, reasonable, unconditional, unaccountable, autarchic, over, self-willed, arrogant, controlling, irrational, unpredictable, unpremeditated, autocratical, absolutistic.
- capricious (part of speech: adjective)
- subjective (part of speech: adjective)
- motiveless (part of speech: adjective)
To the average foreigner in continental India and Ceylon, the arbitrary rule of caste seems to be the merest nonsense possible to conceive of, but to the natives it is a matter of most serious consideration, and is rigidly adhered to in all their daily relations with each other.- "The Pearl of India", Maturin M. Ballou.
- "The Nests and Eggs of Indian Birds, Volume 1", Allan O. Hume.
- "The Dollar Hen", Milo M. Hastings.