Definition of arc:
- A curvature in the shape of a circular arc or an arch; as, the colored arc ( the rainbow); the arc of Hadley's quadrant.
- A portion of a curved line; as, the arc of a circle or of an ellipse.
- An arch.
- The apparent arc described, above or below the horizon, by the sun or other celestial body. The diurnal arc is described during the daytime, the nocturnal arc during the night.
- To form a voltaic arc, as an electrical current in a broken or disconnected circuit.
firing, slue, twist, swing, cut, spin, light, inflection, horizontal, emission, bowing, fore, blackout, whirl, sheer, charge, brownout, crook, outpouring, segment of a circle, trend, AC, flicker, diagonal, twinkle, swirl, kink, sparkle, venting, expelling, wind, electric discharge, veer, electric arc, active, wriggle, about-face, curl, rotation, bowknot, sack, rotate, swerve, bend, line, sacking, spark, release, curve, arc light, outline, turn, curvature, alternating current, glint, dismission, slew, axis, obeisance, chord, diameter, discharge, run, inclined plane, twirl, waiver, straight, arch, circle, firing off, stem, revolve, curtain call, prow, liberation, angle, dismissal, round, bow, revolution.
- "The Dark Forest", Hugh Walpole.
At 6. 45 an extra sentry was placed outside the wire at " S," and it was not sufficiently dark to make the attempt till 6. 30, so that we had a quarter of an hour to cut the wire and to find an opportunity to cross the path and reach the darkness behind the glare of the arc lights.- "The Escaping Club", A. J. Evans.
- "The Last Shot", Frederick Palmer.