Definition of arcade :
1. A long, arched building or gallery.
2. A series of arches with the columns or piers which support them, the spandrels above, and other necessary appurtenances; sometimes open, serving as an entrance or to give light.
3. An arched or covered passageway or avenue.
corridor (part of speech: noun)
- The result will be that the piers of one arcade will be out of line with those of the arcade opposite. - "The Ground Plan of the English Parish Church", A. Hamilton Thompson.
- However, when the builders came to their arcade, instead of building it in seven bays, as the new aisle demanded, they built it in five, setting their new columns in a line with those on the opposite side. - "The Ground Plan of the English Parish Church", A. Hamilton Thompson.
- Into this hansom you will jump, and you will drive to the Strand end of the Lowther Arcade, handing the address to the cabman upon a slip of paper, with a request that he will not throw it away. - "Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes", Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.